This is DTD’s COVID-19 ADVISORY school reopening plan — We wanted to announce that Desmond T. Doss Christian Academy does plan to open for a “normal” school year (as close to normal as we can while setting many extra safety standards and precautions) for the Fall of 2020. As of June 29, 2020, the following is the current DTD reopening plan. Please understand this could change at any moment due to the ambiguity of information that is coming out at various times throughout the week, every week. There is also a PDF letter that you can download below of this information.
1. We’re planning to open on August 17, with in class instruction. Our plan is Monday-Friday, all day, every day. All students.
2. Masks will not be required while students are in class. Teachers will not be required to teach with a mask on. **However, we may require masks for common areas (hallways, etc.)
3. If you, as a parent, want your child to wear a mask, we will do our best to help the child keep the mask on all day. While that may be your preference, just know that it will not be everyone’s preference.
4. Each parent/guardian will be required to sign a waiver absolving DTD from responsibility should your child contract COVID19.
5. We will adhere to social distancing in the classroom as much as possible, but we are not going to be unreasonable, especially with our little ones. They need to play, and they need to play together.
6. We will be conducting temperature checks EVERY day upon entrance to our facility. If your child has a fever, he/she will not be admitted to school that day and cannot return until he/she is fever free for a 48 hour period. Please do not give them fever reducing medicine and send them to school.
7. Because of that, we are doing away with our “Attendance policy as it pertains to absences” for this year. While absences will be recorded, there will be no penalty for exceeding 15.
8. We’re asking each child to bring hand sanitizer to keep in his/her desk. We will let you know when it starts to run low.
9. The teachers will clean rooms every mid-morning and every evening, and the common areas will be cleaned every day by our janitorial staff.
10. We may be asking parents to wear masks to drop off and pick up, but I will let you know when that decision is finalized.
11. If a child is sent home with a “fever” we are going to treat it like we treat a case of head lice. We will let parents in the class know and then you can make the decision about your own child. Again, there will be no penalty for absences.
14. In the event a child is diagnosed with COVID19, we may have to shut down an area, say a hallway or classroom, for one day to deep clean. In the event we do, we will have a plan to do class in another location on campus that day.
I believe our children need a “normal” life as we can create. Yes, we will make changes and do everything in our power to keep them safe and healthy, but not at the expense of letting them grow and enjoy their childhood.
If any of these guidelines are a concern for you and your family, I understand if you choose another option for your child’s education. I want you to feel comfortable dropping your children off at school, and then drive away confident knowing that they are going to be safe and well-cared for.
This is not just a “catch phrase:” Thank you for your prayers during these difficult days.
We will keep you updated if any of the above school reopening plans change due to any new COVID-19 regulations. Thank you so much for your faithfulness.